Well, winter is over and the epoxy finally cured on the last of the galley pantry panels. I also got another plywood panel installed on the port side of the salon.
I’d forgotten the bottom panel when I varnished all the rest of the pantry panels. For all of the cabinet interiors, I’ve been using Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane clear gloss. It’s a nice product and cures to a hard finish. I’ve used ICA polyurethane on most other panels, but brush application of Minwax is much less labor intensive than spraying the ICA.
Once I finished with the varnish, I epoxy sealed all edges and applied Buffalo Batt insulation on the underside. It’s been so cold that it took ten days for the epoxy to finally cure. Unlike the other pantry panels, these last three are going to be removable to provide access to the pump-out, fresh water, and water tank vent plumbing. So it’s essential that the epoxy on the contact surfaces is fully cured before I put it all together.
The right side slides in first, then rotate the left side in until it seats on the backing cleats.
I still have to make the face frame for the pantry, but that can come later. Next, I got busy on the next salon plywood panel.
The first toe rail vent duct is to the left in the pic above. One more panel to go in this section.
I sifted through the plywood pile looking for 1/4″ Doug fir marine ply that I could use here. It was funny how happy I felt when I found a scrap that just happened to be the exact width I needed.
It’s been so chilly that the epoxy just isn’t kicking. So I’ve got all kinds of sticky plywood and solid mahogany stock all over the place. I’m running out of space to put stuff!