With the V-berth head finally painted, I had the chance to do one of my favorite things: tearing off plastic and masking tape to reveal the finished paint job. I couldn’t resist temporarily putting a throne in the throne room, as we’re calling it. With that done, I spent a weekend dealing with my busted truck, but I also finished up the exhaust riser insulation. The risers are ready to install.
The fume extractor worked great, but having the duct in the porthole opening made the head very dark inside.
Now…on to the exhaust insulation.
I wrapped this riser before with Inferno Wrap when I was still thinking about using a fiberglass hard shell. But since I’ve decided to skip the shell, I wanted to do a nicer job on the wrap.
Cheapo Craft Bond holds the ceramic blanket in place well enough. It’ll cook off the first time I run the engines, but it only needs to last long enough for me to get the Inferno Wrap installed over the blanket material.
Several people have asked about the purpose of the 1/2″ tube coming off the showerhead. I explained my raw water overflow bypass idea in the article on Welding the Starboard Exhaust Riser.
The leftovers come in very handy for filling in small gaps later on.
So, finally, the risers are ready to install. Booyah.