The V-berth head is finally painted. This has been a long time coming. It started with me taking measurements of the space and then working out the interior concept in 3D with the free version of Sketchup CAD software. Then I installed the galley bulkhead, which is also one of the main walls for the head. After getting the forward head wall installed, I applied spray foam insulation. And then, in March 2016, I finally dug in and made the walls, ceiling, and built-in cabinets, as well as the dais for the toilet. Along the way, I was insulating the back side of each panel to keep things more comfortable once the refit is done. Once the plumbing and electrical was done, I fiberglassed the ceiling panels since the entire throne room will be a big shower room. Next, I took all the bits and pieces and assembled the whole thing, including installing the throne dais. The last wall panel got done next, followed by fairing and installing the ceiling panels. Then things got really serious when we fiberglassed the throne room walls and floor. Fairing came after that, followed by fillets and priming with Awlquik. Then I made the mahogany cabinet moldings, sanded them and had my painter spray them with ICA clear before installing them. I installed some more moldings and finished the cabinet access panel, then my painter sprayed the last coats of Awlgrip 545 primer. And then…finally…after all that…we got another break from old man winter and got the final paint prep work done. All that was left was final wipe down and spray…and we now it’s done.
We wiped down the sanded surfaces with Awlprep T0008 then did three passes with tack cloths to remove every hint of dust. Then I fired up the compressor and refrigerated air drier, flipped the air supply so the dried air goes through a Devilbiss QC3 filter before it hits the paint pressure pot. We suited up, donned booties and respirators, and flipped on the fume extractor. Then my Boatamalan* painter worked his magic while I kept the hoses from touching anything.
*Boatamalan: Noun. Joking portmanteau referring to my painter’s Central American origin (boat + Guatamalan). In fact, the Boatamalan is from Honduras, but Boatduras doesn’t roll off the tongue like Boatamalan does. 🙂
The paint was still tacky when I took these pictures, so I was doing my best not to move the plastic too much. Using the window opening to duct air out via the fume extractor worked really well. The air was drawn in via the porthole openings on the opposite side, so the overspray evacuated nicely. Visibility was surprisingly good while the painter was spraying.
There were a lot of steps along the way, but getting this paint work done is a huge leap forward. It’s the last of the interior Awlgrip work. Everything else will be naturally finished mahogany sprayed with ICA clear. So now, I can convert the salon from the fiberglass and paint prep area it’s been since the spring of 2016 into a wood shop. I really look forward to cutting the mahogany wall panels for the V-berth. But first, it’s time to wrap up the exhaust system.
Next up in our 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Finishing the Exhaust Riser Installation