1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing More Stainless Rub Rails

I finally got around to installing some of the stainless rub rails that I polished over the summer of 2016. It’s a good winter job, but only when the temperature stays above 40°F. The lower rub rails were a bit of a challenge since the tent frames and scaffolding come close to the hull. But I got ’em done.

I might need an intervention

I might need an intervention

I did a lot of stainless polishing over the summer and fall. The end result is great but it sure takes a lot of time. It occurred to me that the highly polished rub rails would make unpolished screw heads stand out. So I spent some more time polishing hundreds of screw heads. It’s like an addiction or something. 🙂

Big difference, right? RIGHT???

Big difference, right? RIGHT???

Scaffolding framing makes this difficult

Scaffolding framing makes this difficult

The lower rub rails are especially long and they go around the bend to the transom, which makes them tough to install in the best of circumstances. But I wasn’t thinking far enough ahead when I built the scaffolding, so it’s a really tight squeeze. I had to make some space and set up the rail so it’s ready to attach once I applied the Sikkaflex 291LOT sealant.

Remove some of the scaffolding framing.

Remove some of the scaffolding framing

Suspend the rub rail from above at just the right height

Suspend the rub rail from above at just the right height

In addition to hanging the rail at just the right height, I also had to secure the rail to the scaffolding so it would stay clear of the sealant as I put the screws in from back to front. Once the process started I couldn’t stop to take pictures, but everything went well and it turned out great. Aluminum + stainless + even the slightest bit of moisture makes a mess of paint jobs. But I’d already applied TefGel to the screw holes, so hopefully the paint will never fail around the holes like it did with Chris Craft’s original sealant.

Nice, eh?

Nice, eh?

Worst possible place for a screw

Worst possible place for a screw

Nice!

Nice! Time for the starboard side

The starboard side was slightly easier to do

The starboard side was slightly easier to do

Done!

Done!

That’s a wrap for the lower rub rails. I’ll get the upper rails installed before long. But first, we got a break in the freezing cold temps so we’re going to get the V-berth head painted.

Next up on our 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Final Sanding the V-berth Head

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s