We got a brief break in cold winter weather, and my painter was able to come in and finish fairing the V-berth head followed the next day by spraying the final Awlgrip 545 primer. I’d hoped for this to be done back in May 2016, but you know what they say about the best laid plans. Now we just need two days in a row where it’s above 50°F and my painter’s schedule is open to get the 545 sanded and then finally spray the Awlgrip topcoat.
The 1708 biaxial fiberglass we used in this unit bath/shower made it difficult to make smooth transitions at the corners, ceiling, and floor. The floor, ceiling, and walls each use one piece of fiberglass cloth, but they had to overlap where they join to yield a monolithic FRP surface that won’t crack. Making those double-layer joints smooth was challenging because they are in the very short straight sections before the door opening. If somebody stares at these areas for a bit, they’ll notice that the surface isn’t flat. But I don’t plan on inviting people on the boat who are that picky. 🙂
My new fume extractor and filter box does a great job pulling overspray from the interior and getting it out of the tent, but without overspraying boats nearby.
And after a few coats…
After we got the 545 applied, winter came back with a vengeance, so we couldn’t sand the next day and paint the day after. We’re waiting for another weather window that matches my painter’s schedule. Can’t rush Mother Nature. Either way, this is good progress and I’m glad to see this getting closer to done.