I applied a strip of tape around the inside and outside edges of the window frame and flange, so the sealant that squeezes out mostly ends up on the tape. It’s a lot easier to pull the tape (and the sealant with it) than not to use tape and have a sticky mess to clean up.
When I disassembled the hateful portholes, I found that many of the original aluminum flange screws turned to powder when I tried to remove them. Not that I ever intend to take these apart again, but I decided to go with Tefgel-coated stainless screws when reassembling the portholes. I also used washers to protect the paint, since even the slightest breach in the paint coating will turn into the spot where corrosion in the aluminum frame begins. I’ve been buying bulk screws, washers, and bolts from Albany Fasteners. The prices are good, quality has been top notch, and they ship quickly.
Putting the first porthole together took two hours, start to finish. The second one took about ten minutes less. By the third, I was down to an hour and 45 minutes, and that’s about as fast as I can go. It looks like it shouldn’t take this much time, but it does. The tinted glass does look great in the white frames. It’ll be nice to get these installed over the winter.
Next up in our 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Polisher upgrade