1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Assembling the Forward Hatch

With the big glass order having arrived, I could finally set about closing up exterior holes…like the forward hatch, which has been beautifully painted since 2014. Before that, for several decades it wasn’t exactly a pretty thing. I think it looks even better with tinted glass rather than the original frosted white glass.

New tinted glass + 1969 Chris Craft hatch flange coated in new Awlgrip

New tinted glass + 1969 Chris Craft hatch flange coated in new Awlgrip

The original bow deck hatch

The original bow deck hatch

New fasteners and Sikaflex 201-LOT sealant

New fasteners and Sikaflex 291-LOT sealant

The original hatches came with painted over stainless screws, and they used conventional window glazing that gets hard and eventually cracks and loses the bond. Then you get water into the screw holes and corrosion sets in. Fortunately, there wasn’t too much white aluminum oxide in this hatch. But instead of tightening the screws directly onto the painted surface of the flange, like Bomar did originally, I used stainless washers to protect the surface of the paint. I also used Tefgel on the screw threads and in every hole, and I used Sikaflex 291-LOT rather than conventional glazing. Hopefully, the modern materials and approach will keep this looking good at least until my Viking funeral several decades from now. 🙂

Good lookin' hatch!

Good lookin’ hatch!

It was roasting hot during the summer when I installed the glass, too hot in the tent to work, so I cleaned the sealant up and went home by noon. I came back the next day to install the latch hardware.

Latch hardware needs cleaning

Latch hardware needs cleaning

First, sand all of the oxide from the aluminum spacers

First, sand all of the oxide from the aluminum spacers

I applied a generous dollop of Tefgel on the contact surfaces of the aluminum spacer, then installed the screw with more Tefgel.

More Tefgel in the screw holes

One screw down, three to go

Clean the screw & washer

Clean the screw & washer, then apply Tefgel

...and more Tefgel

…and more Tefgel

One hinged prop is installed

One hinged prop is installed

Remember I mentioned how hot it was in the tent that day? If you look at the glass, you can see some spots where the Sikaflex oozed out after I’d cleaned the glass and gone home. Maybe there’s an air bubble nearby that expanded from the heat before the material cured. It’s a small thing, but I think it’ll catch dirt so I’ll razor that off next time I’m on the bow.

The latch prop needs some cleaning

The latch prop needs some cleaning

The aluminum bar for the latch prop has some surface imperfections, so I sanded it with 320 grit and left the surface looking brushed.

Threads need some cleaning

Threads need some cleaning

Not a bad brushed look

Not a bad brushed look

More Tefgel on the cleaned threads

More Tefgel on the cleaned threads

One side's done! Now repeat.

One side’s done! Now repeat.

Done!

Done!

Next up in our 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing New Glass in Portholes

Advertisements

2 comments on “1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Assembling the Forward Hatch

  1. Bill Williams says:

    I really enjoy reading your posts as you share your progress with everyone. It must feel good to finally be closing up the holes so you can move forward with putting her in the water.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s