With the muffler platforms welded in and epoxy coated, I’ve got the mufflers positioned and attached to the exhaust outlets and have started fabricating the exhaust risers. But in between the bigger jobs, I’ve been closing up holes on the exterior as time permits. The running lights are now installed, as are the fuel, water, and holding tank vents.
The light base on the left came with the boat. On the other side, there was a cheap, pressed stainless Perko light that just looked wrong. So I monitored Ebay and eventually picked up a nav light that was from the Roamer series and looked right. But when I removed the chromed bronze cover (snapping the screw in the process in spite of having soaked the base in penetrating oil for a month!), I found the mounting holes were different.
And then, since I was on a roll closing up small holes on the exterior, I installed all of the tank vents.
These aren’t the original tank vents, but I like the design better. The originals used a screen to keep out mud daubers, but the screens inevitably clog and aren’t especially attractive.
The holding tank vent is identical to the OE design, but it’s made of polished 316 stainless instead of chromed bronze. It sits in a smaller hole than the other tank vents, so I couldn’t use the same design everywhere without enlarging the hole, and I don’t think it’s worth it to break open the new paint. When I attach the hose, I’ll orient the screens facing down.
That’s a wrap for nav lights and tank vents. Two more items off the honey-do list.
Next up in our 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Engine Wiring