With the outer wall and toilet step-up roughed out for the V-berth head, next I need to get the ceiling panels cut and framing fitted.
The big mahogany overhead beam in the pic above isn’t quite tall enough, so I need add some material to bring it down to the same level as the perimeter cleats.
There’s always a question about scrap material: keep it or toss it? Some scraps seem to sit around forever and just get in the way–better to toss it and call it done. But other scrap ends up being the perfect size for a particular job, which saves full sheets of ply for other projects. It’s always a tough call whether to throw it out or keep it. I tend to default to keeping it, and that’s worked out well here.
I’ll trim the brace to fit between the bulkhead and the big frame in the pic above.
There are three braces. The middle one is especially wide because that’s where I’ll join the two overhead panels.
When the light slides home, the springs snap down tightly to the top-side of the panel, holding it securely in place while giving the option of easy removal if necessary. No screws or other hardware is required.
I know I took additional pix of the overhead panels but can’t find them. Microsoft sent out an “update” that disabled my computer’s ability to read SD cards a few months back, and it’s really messed up my system for documenting this refit. Anyway, the ceiling panels are all cut and test fitted. Before I permanently install them, I’ll apply a layer of 1708 fiberglass and fair the inside surface of the panels, then epoxy seal and put a layer of Buffalo Batt insulation on the top side. This is the same approach I used on the aft head. The combination of spray foam on the hull and Buffalo Batt insulation backing each interior panel really made a huge difference during the freezing winter.
Next up on our 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: The V-berth “Throne Room”