1969 Chris Craft Roamer Refit: Installing the New Helm Windshield Frame

Back in early September, 2015, after many trials and tribulations, the helm windshield frame finally got painted. I had to shift focus for a bit to get the salon sanded, stained, and sprayed with ICA base coat clear, but now I need to get back on the windshield frame because Motion Windows–the same shop that made my new bow seat windows–has informed me that the new windshields are on the way.

I’m all giddy! šŸ™‚

The windshield as found in 2007

The windshield frame in 2013

To properly prep the cabin top for paint, I had t0 remove the windshield frame. The hardware holding the window frame in place was very lightweight and missing in spots, but I don’t know if that was how Chris Craft did it or if the boat was damaged at some point and repaired (albeit poorly)–I suspect the latter.

Original windshield hardware–lightweight and loose

In some spots there was only a hole with no machine screw attaching the windshield to the cabin top

So when I installed the new windshield frame in 2015, I used 1/4″-20 stainless bolts and large fender washers with plenty of TefGel to protect the threaded aluminum from the stainless.

First, I re-drilled the holes

First, I re-drilled the holes

mm

Next, we applied 3M 4000 UV adhesive and positioned the frame. With so many things going on, I didn’t have time to take pictures, but suffice it to say that lining up the bolt holes in a 10′ x 4′ complex 3-dimensional structure when everything is coated in sticky black caulk was a bit of a challenge. In the end, everything worked out fine.

Get one started, and the rest soon follow

Get one started, and the rest soon follow

One by one, the bolts went in

One by one, the bolts went in

Last one in and done!

Last one in and done!

While I was working on the bolts from below, my assistants were screwing the top of the frame to the hardtop. Then we got to work cleaning up the caulk. I’d say the results were worth the effort.

A nice upgrade from the original

A nice upgrade from the original

It’s great to have the boat in Tent Model X, protecting it from the elements over this long project, but I’m really getting sick of tent frames messing up good pictures. šŸ˜‰

Just needs windshields!

Just needs windshields!

The FedEx tracking tells me the windshields are on the way from Vancouver, Washington and will be here in a week. Perfect timing!

In the interim, it’s time to get a box of shiny parts out of my basement and back on the boat…

Next up on our 1969 Chris Craft Roamer Refit: Shiny Gauges Installed in the Dashboard

Advertisements

6 comments on “1969 Chris Craft Roamer Refit: Installing the New Helm Windshield Frame

  1. Craig says:

    After all the heartache, this should be a massive milestone for you. Lovely work as always and still my favorite build thread of all time.

  2. Pete says:

    Hi, I’ve just spend 2 days reading your entire story, certainly very impressive, enjoyed it immensely, so sorry when you had problems with thieves and tent collapses but so good when things went the way you wanted… It really does look lovely, your attention to detail is impressive… top job Sir I take my hat off to you…

  3. Darrel says:

    Nice contrasting colors.

  4. John Longwell says:

    Very distinguished look.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s