I’m getting closer to having the starboard engine and gear finally aligned with the prop shaft coupler. But even with the locknut removed from the front vibration isolator and the adjuster nut completely bottomed out, I still have a 0.005″ gap between the couplers on the bottom. So the engine has to drop even lower at the front, which means the front engine mount needs modifying.
With the 3/4″ spacer welded on top of the remainder of the 3/8″ landing pad that was still attached to the mount, the bottom of the new landing pad is 1-1/8″ higher than the original. That should give me plenty of room to reinstall the vibration isolator locknut and still have lots of adjustment to lower the front of the engine.
When I lowered the front of the engine to align the prop shaft and gear couplers, it became obvious that something was hanging up. The rear of the engine went up as the front went down!
After trimming off another 1/4″ of material from the top of the frame I now have all the clearance I need to get the couplers aligned. But first, I need to center the prop shaft in the log and lock it down.
I tried using a dial caliper to align the shaft, but it was a real pain. The tapered gauge approach worked much better.
There’s a 0.003″ gap on the right side of the coupler, but that’s well within tolerance for the DriveSaver. I still have to drill the holes for the vibration isolator bolts and then use the gantry to lift the engine out of the way so I can coat all of the bare aluminum with Devoe 235 epoxy. When I put the engine back in place, I’ll close up that gap. The hard work on this starboard engine install is just about a wrap. It’ll be much easier doing the port side now that I know what to do.