As you can see in the pics, the back-side of the panel is still bare wood. The plan is to get the final fit right, then coat the backs and all edges with epoxy. The ICA coating on the face will allow me to wipe off any wet epoxy with an ethanol-soaked rag. With the panel fitting to the hull and interior wall, the next step involved the missus holding the panel in place while I marked the porthole openings from outside.
On the galley panel I installed recently to test my insulation plan, I used 3M spray-on contact cement to adhere the Buffalo Batt polyester nonwoven fabric insulation to the cured epoxy protecting the back of the panel. I figured I could save a step by applying the insulation as I roll on the sealing epoxy coat. The missus was a big help putting her craft skills to work cutting the insulation to size, leaving room for the attachment points.
If I hadn’t already finished the front face with ICA base-coat, the epoxy would have bled under the tape and stained the pretty mahogany.
The insulation gurus all say that dead air space between the outer and inner layers of insulation significantly adds to insulating properties of the material. Hopefully, this approach is worth the effort.
Before I permanently install these panels, I need to assemble the portholes and get some other things done. So for now, the panels are sitting in place, out of the way, covered in plastic, and protected from abrasion. With the heat of summer making it too hot in the tent to work up top-side, I’m getting myself into the engine room next.
Next up in our 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Gantry Time II!