1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Laying Out the Aft Cabin Walls

I haven’t quite figured out how to write a blog.

Almost every weekend, I’m out at the boat or in my garage at home doing all sorts of things that move the project along (or would move it along if I didn’t keep discovering tools that were stolen back in May that I’d forgotten about until just that moment when I need that particular tool…and it’s not there). I take pictures all along, of course, with the intent of using them in articles when the time comes. But the thing is, it’s a rare weekend when I get in and get a job done. Between the size and scope of some of the individual jobs on this project to the aforementioned missing tools that cause all progress to stop, what I find myself doing a lot these days is making a bit of progress on one part of the project, then moving to another part. I make a bit more progress and then, for various and sundry reasons, have to stop and move onto the next thing…and that pattern fills the day between the hours when I’m behind the wheel driving back and forth to the boatyard. So, at the end of any given weekend, there might be a dozen things or more that I got done, not one of which is worthy of its own article.

The purpose of all of this is to explain that just because I’m not posting articles doesn’t mean the refit has ground to a halt (again). I just haven’t wanted to write unless I’ve got a big enough story to tell. With that said…

Way back in 2010 or so, when there was that paperwork snafu that had me thinking I should just give up on the project completely, I goofed around with google sketchup CAD software and put together some interior concepts of the aft stateroom, salon, and galley. Then, after the project resumed in 2012, I ordered up all of the mahogany plywood I’d need to make the drawings into reality. After moving the plywood stack inside the boat, we focused on closing up the salon roof hatch and getting the Awlgrip paint job done. But over the winter of 2014-15, I’ve been permanently securing the aft stateroom floors, laying out the CAD drawings on the actual floors, and getting ready to cut and install the walls.

Essentials for installing the floors

Essentials for installing the floors

I coated the bottom and sides of the plywood subfloors with Devoe 235 and 236 epoxy left over from the hull and engine room, so the “invisible sides” were done. I finished the installation by first drilling pilot holes through the plywood and the aluminum framing below, then I screwed it all together.

Truth be told, though, I drilled those holes months ago, shortly after I got new drill bits to replace the ones that were stolen in May. But drilling some floor holes doesn’t make for a particularly exciting article, nor does vacuuming up all of the drilling dust and aluminum bits that fell into the bilge. Later, after I’d replaced my stolen taper drill set, I followed up with my tragically new taper drill so the screws would seat cleanly in the plywood. Before putting the ceramic-coated, self-tapping screws in, I ran Tef-Gel (which hadn’t been stolen) down each drilled hole to keep corrosion at bay. With no less than one screw per foot in a grid, that was a lot of predrilling, Tef-Geling, and screwing…and even though in actual time I spent just a few hours getting it done, with the interruptions it took about a month and a half start to finish. But enough with the griping…

Here’s the aft stateroom concept

Essential tools for laying out the floors

Essential tools for laying out the floors

I used a square, a straight edge, and my Bosch laser measure to figure out the placement of the end of each bulkhead/wall that will attach to the hull ribs. Then I marked the floor and the ceiling accordingly.

Bosch laser makes one-man measuring a breeze

Bosch laser makes one-man measuring a breeze

Measuring up the stick in one-foot increments from the floor to the ceiling gave me a “close enough” estimate of the shape that I’ll transfer to the plywood before I cut it.

Interior concept transferred to the boat in real life!

Interior concept transferred to the boat in real life!

Next up on our 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Insulation

Advertisements

2 comments on “1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Laying Out the Aft Cabin Walls

  1. Frederic Lynes says:

    Believe it or not some people enjoy reading about the little nit noy things that are done, in order to bring beautiful object back from the grave. 😀 I have followed with great interest your journey from day one until today, & I can’t wait to read about the day when you get to splash this beauty and take her down the Chesapeake.

    • 1969roamer46 says:

      Thanks, Frederic! It’s good to hear from somebody who’s been reading since the beginning!
      If things go as planned, splashing and that trip down the Bay will happen later this year. Wish me luck with those nit noy things!
      Cheers,
      Q

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s