Back in early November, I took delivery of my bow seat windows from Motion Windows out in Washington State. There were a few surprises with the quality of the windows, the biggest one of which was that two of them didn’t fit into the window openings! Motion stood behind their product, though, and in mid-December 2013 I shipped them back to the manufacturer for a do-over. The crate showed up again a week ago, so I took them out to the boatyard to see if they fit.
The first time I got them, the windows were all wrapped in clear plastic film to protect them from abrasion…not this time though.
The center windshield inner clamp ring was secured to the frame with #12 wood screws, which are about two sizes larger than the slots into which they were screwed.
The screws were too big for the slots, so the screws galled when they were installed at the factory. And the screws aren’t even fully seated against the clamp ring here. I have no idea why they used #12 screws in slots sized for #8 screws.
Since the oversized screws were only on the center window, which opens, I’m guessing Motion used them because of the forces associated with an opening window. But I think they could have accomplished the same thing by simply using more screws of the right size. Otherwise, they should size the slots for the screws they intend to use. Forcing screws into slots or holes that are too small doesn’t strike me as the right approach.
It’s a little thing, and they only put a small badge on the center window instead big ones on all three like before, but “no badges” was one of the things I asked for on the re-do.
I removed all of the screws from the port window above, starting on the side nearest me. When I removed the last of the screws along the top, leaving only the two on the far end, the clamp ring made a kind of TWANG sound. If you look at the pic above, you can see that the clamp ring is held in place by two screws on the far side, but on the near side it’s offset. The screw slot in the clamp ring should be directly over the slot in the frame into which the screw should thread. But instead, it’s tweaked 3/8″ or so to the left. They had to see this at the factory but just forced it into place.
On the plus side, the welds and finishing at the corners looks very good. The welds don’t protrude from the extrusions, which was the case the first time around and the reason why the windows didn’t fit.
You can also see in the pic above that the left side screw is as far as the slot will allow toward getting the clamp ring centered over the frame. So, by my counting there were two mistakes at the factory: the first was the fabricator cuttin the clamp ring parts just slightly too big. The second was forcing the assembled clamp ring onto the window frame that it didn’t quite fit.
Next came the dry fit into the window openings….
They slid right in the openings. Perfect fit.
It will be sooo nice to be able to open the window when we’re at anchor to let the breeze waft through the galley and salon. 🙂
On Motion Windows, I have to say I really like the concept for their product, and their front office customer service is outstanding. But…their prices were 15% higher than the competition, which is fine if the quality is there. One out of three of my windows was perfect, which tells me that they have the capacity to do it right every time. So it’s a bit disappointing to see problems, especially since this was a do-over from quality and dimension problems on the first set. Granted, the company badge came off with a scraper, I can use a die grinder to make the clamp ring screws fit, and I can go buy more properly sized screws for the center window. None of these problems are deal-stoppers like the first set, where Motion made the windows larger than the templates. But for the price, I think they should be getting this stuff right from the factory the first time around.
I won’t install these permanently until I have some other things ready to go that will also be bedded in white polysulfide. No point in opening a tube if I’m not going to use it all up. Speaking of polysulfide…