6:30AM Sunday morning, August 18, 2013. All of the prep work we did on Saturday made it relatively easy to paint today. The weather was perfect, too: 70*F and light rain (so absolutely no dust or bugs flying around).
This diamond tread blue plastic (Cover Guard Fire Rated Temporary Protection) is outstanding for big paint projects. Wet overspray on the plastic doesn’t grab ahold of your booties when you step on it. Tape sticks to it very well and it does a good job protecting finished surfaces, too.
It also helps seal up the hull, which is still very dusty. We don’t want the dust from below to end up on the new paint above.
These pix show the cockpit interior surfaces we painted on Saturday. To protect the fresh paint on the interior surfaces of the window frames when we paint the exterior today, we’re using 3M blue tape. The green tape is 3M +233, which sticks very well and does a very good job at keeping the new paint from flowing under the tape. But, it’s so tenacious it can cause fresh paint to lift when you remove it.
The mahogany moldings got a fresh layer of 3M +233 tape, too.
This 3M foam masking tape makes blend lines vanish. I know some old techniques for accomplishing the same basic thing, but the results with this product are much, much better.
The door uprights got painted when we put the shiny on the cabin top. The foam tape should make the transition disappear when the helm hardtop gets painted. With the taping done, we blew off the primed surfaces and wiped everything down with Awl Grip pre-cleaner. I also spritzed a bit of water around the aft deck and on the inside walls of the tent and scaffolding to control dust. Then we put new filters on the inlet vents and exhaust fans, fired up the fresh air system, donned space suits and got to spraying.
The end result is absolutely gorgeous, if I do say so myself. 🙂
Props to the Boatamalans for their outstanding work.
I have to say that the window frames turned out pretty good, especially since they were an afterthought I came up with in a bit of a panic after finding…irregularities in the way the fabricator welded the aft enclosure together.
The fillets look nice, too.
Now I just need a windshield…soon.
Again, props to the Boatamalans for their outstanding work.
The chief Boatamalan even commented that this paint job is cleaner than what they accomplish at Weaver Boatworks. It helps to have a small crew, with nobody making dust or opening doors to change the air flow characteristics in the middle of the job.
That’s pretty much a wrap for the shiny above the rub rail. While the whole boat is taped up and covered with plastic, we’ll try and knock out the nonskid on the decks and cabin top and apply the shiny to the fillets on the outside of the toe rail. Then we move on to the hull itself.
Unfortunately (for me, anyway) the Boatamalans are very busy at their day jobs and won’t be able to work on my project for a while. This is more of that butterfly effect I wrote about before. Damn that mechanic for falling so far off schedule and pushing everything back.
Next up on our 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Window Patterns.