Since we wrapped up the aft enclosure fairing, fillets and other details, the next step toward getting our Roamer painted is applying the last coat of primer I hope to ever put on her. I like the boat and all, and one can never have too much fairing compound dust in every crack, pore, and orifice, but enough is enough. 🙂
We started the day with some light hand-sanding, mostly to knock Awlquik overspray off of surfaces that were already faired with 240 grit Mirka Abranet. When it comes to sandpaper, Mirka and 3M Green Corp are the only way to go. You can save a dime buying other abrasives, but you’ll waste dollars in labor from wimpy sandpaper. You’ll also use 3-5x the paper, so even if the cheap stuff costs half as much, you’ll still spend more.
Anyway, we also sanded the aft enclosure fillets in preparation for one last application of Awlquik.
Once the sanding was done, we pulled off all of the plastic we used during the Awlquik course over the rest of the boat–that stuff makes more dust than you can imagine. After doing a thorough clean up with the shop vac and hitting the whole thing with compressed air, we pulled the 3M hand-masking plastic films (99″, 72″, 48″, 36″ and 24″) and 3M 233+ green tape from “the clean room” (AKA the aft stateroom), and covered up everything we didn’t plan to hit with Awl Grip Awlquik or 545 epoxy primer. Then we broke out the pressure pot and personal protective equipment, fired up the compressed air dryer and exhaust fans, and got to spraying.
The results, if I do say so myself, are freakin’ awesome. Way to go Boatamalans! 🙂
We’d longboarded the aft enclosure and did fillets the day before, so we only had to hit the fillets and little patches in the fairing work with Awlquik.
The guys did a great job making that line-handling deck fair, and the fillets make it look like the aft enclosure was always part of Chris Craft’s design.
With the Awlquik done, we switched up to 545 primer and made the cabin top pretty.
The 545 primer doesn’t hold a shine once it dries, so you can’t see how fair the dashboard is…but it is very smooth. The fillets at the instrument pod are sooo much better than the original dirt-catching seam.
Again, props to the Boatamalans for making my helm door opening concept come to life.
One thing about having white 545 on a boat that’s inside a white shrink wrap tent with white PVC frames–there’s no contrast anywhere. The fillets don’t help; hard seams with gaps would be easier to see. Everything is so smooth, you can’t see the details in pix!
Hard to believe there was a big hole in the salon roof just a few short months ago.
I can’t wait to see it painted with “the shiny” and with the tent gone!
The bow seat has come so very far since November 2012, when I cut off the old one and made what you see here.
And that line down the cabin top will never crack like the original did.
My running theory is that if the Boatamalans hadn’t done such a nice job on the fillets, you could see them more clearly because the imperfections would provide a degree of contrast. Damn those perfectionist Boatamalans and their flawless work! 😉
Again and again and again, props to the Boatamalans for making my helm door concept a reality.
That’s a wrap for the 545 primer on the cabin top and dashboard. Unfortunately, we’ve had a bit of bad news from afar, so I’ll be taking two weeks off of the project to go pay last respects to my mother-in-law. I’ll pick it up again when I get back.